Sunday 4 November 2012

Blood Bank HUSM

Dr Abdul Ghani (Langkawi) asked me about what we do with PRS (platelet-rich serum) at USM in Facebook so many days ago. I didn't have the time and chance to go to Blood Bank to ask but the opportunity came today. I arrived early at my department today and left my bags, book and rattan basket in my office and quickly walked over to Blood Bank which is next door. I have to do this quickly because after this I need to run to the mini post-office (opens at 9 am) to mail my book (Research on the Early Malay Doctors) to friends.

This is information about Blood Bank and the contact person. Blood Bank is also running a program to collect blood before the monsoon season comes. I talked to Mr Saw Teik Hock (JTMP) who also managed  and cross-checked my blood for my first surgery 28 years ago. He's a great friend.


Unit Perubatan Transfusi (Tabung Darah)
Waktu Urusan:
Ahad-Rabu: 8.10 pg - 4.40 ptg
Khamis: 8.10 pg - 4.40 ptg
Rehat: 1 pm - 2 pm
Jumaat-Sabtu & Cuti Am: Tutup

Mr Saw Teik Hock (JTMP)
Technical Manager ISO
Blood Bank HUSM
thsaw@kb.usm.my
Tel: 09-760 3337

Assoc Prof Dr Rosline Hassan
HOD Hematology & Blood Bank HUSM
http://www.medic.usm.my/hematology/
http://www.medic.usm.my/hematology/index.php/our-people/lect/rosline

According to Mr Saw Teik Hock, Blood Bank HUSM fractionates and obtains platelet-rich plasma. However, platelet-rich plasma is voluminous (big volume, banyak) and therefore it needs to be reduced (volume-wise) and the Blood Bank hence spins (centrifuges) it and collects and stores the platelet concentrate for use in patients. There is a big need for platelet concentrate and it is used for many types of patients, including orthopedic patients, where the platelet concentrate is applied (injected) to the painful joint. There was previously a research project done on platelets by Dr Wong (please Google him). However, the project was discontinued due to strict ethical procedures later implemented by USM, whereby downstream stuff from patients cannot be used for research unless the blood donors/patients themselves initially approved of such research. However, researchers can reapply for ethical approval to continue their former research with the Blood Bank. Dr Wong will be continuing his research on platelets with prior approval of the USM ethics committee. USM has a special research committee that looks at clinical research and use of patients' products (stuffs that are obtained from patients including blood & blood products, teeth, bones, etc). Mr Saw Teik Hock advised that the best way to go about platelet testing and research is to write to the Head of Department (HOD), Assoc Prof Dr Rosline Hassan. Potential researchers can always write to him regarding the Blood Bank and everything that's connected. I guess this bit of information helps everyone who is looking forward to platelet research. The Blood Bank also has stem cells - please visit the website to find out more.

I will disappear to the mini post-office now.

0 comments: