Tuesday 8 September 2009

Diastolic heart failure and pulmonary hypertension

Heart and lung involvement


Figure 1 – Severe left ventricular hypertrophy and grade 1 diastolic heart failure are revealed by echocardiography and Doppler ultrasonography. The apical 4-chamber view shows a thickened left ventricular wall and enlarged left atrium (A). Doppler evaluation shows impaired early diastolic relaxation (E wave) and vigorous atrial contraction (A wave) resulting in an E/A ratio of less than 0.75, which signifies early reduced left ventricular compliance (B). A normal E/A ratio is greater than 1.5, since most of the diastolic filling occurs early in a compliant left ventricle with the atrial component contributing a smaller volume at a lower velocity. (LV, left ventricle; LA, left atrium.)

Heart failure with normal ejection fraction (HFNEF) contributes to the largest number of cases of pulmonary hypertension (PH) in the elderly. Studies have shown that isolated HFNEF is present in 44% to 60% of patients with heart failure.20,21 In contrast to systolic dysfunction, HFNEF results from impaired myocardial relaxation resulting in decreased compliance and impairment of diastolic ventricular filling; the problem is not with ventricular contraction but rather with diastolic relaxation.
The most common causes of HFNEF are coronary artery disease, hypertension, aging, obesity, and aortic stenosis. The diagnosis is based on the presence of heart failure symptoms in the absence of depressed ejection fraction. An echocardiogram with Doppler studies can be useful in diagnosing diastolic dysfunction. The E/A ratio, in which E denotes the early peak mitral diastolic inflow velocity and A denotes the late diastolic peak mitral inflow velocity, can be useful.
Under normal conditions, E is greater than A and the E/A ratio is approximately 1.5. In early diastolic dysfunction, relaxation is impaired and there is vigorous atrial contraction, resulting in an E/A ratio of less than 0.75 (Figure 1). As the disease progresses, left ventricular (LV) compliance is reduced further, which increases early LV filling despite impaired relaxation, resulting in pseudonormalization of the E/A ratio to 1.5. In severe diastolic dysfunction, the E/A ratio is greater than 2 as a result of the LV filling occurring primarily in early diastole.22
Source: Pulmonary hypertension in the elderly, part 2: Treatment
http://jrd.consultantlive.com/display/article/1145425/1405017?pageNumber=6

5 comments:

Sarah Dollison said...

What is a normal EF in Heart Failure, thanks.

Faridah said...

Please obtain answer from other websites. Here's info from one website:

Immediately before a heart contraction there is a certain volume of blood within the ventricle. This is called the end-diastolic volume (EDV). After the contraction, there is a certain amount of blood left in the ventricle and this is called the end-systolic volume (ESV). The difference between these (EDV-ESV) is the stroke volume (SV). The ejection fraction (EF) is the SV divided by the EDV (SV/EDV), and is often expressed as a percentage, with normal values being 50-70%. EF can be defined as the amount of blood pumped by the heart into circulation with each heartbeat. Although EF can refer to either the left ventricle or the right ventricle, it is the left ventricular function that is more commonly investigated, because it is the left ventricle that pumps the blood to the body.

Read more: http://www.righthealth.com/topic/Normal_Ejection_Fraction_Heart#ixzz1ScJJc8Xj

Faridah said...

An answer from Dr Rahimah Zakaria (rahimah@kck.usm.my)

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/hfwhatis.aspx

Ejection fraction (EF): a measurement of the amount of blood pumped out of the left ventricle with each heartbeat. In a normal person, the ejection fraction equals about 50 percent or more.
If someone has systolic heart failure, the ejection fraction will equal about 20 to 40 percent, or even less.

Joyce Hillary said...

All thanks to this great herbal doctor who cured me from (LUPUS DISEASE) his name is dr imoloa.  I suffered lupus disease for over 8 years with pains like: joints, Skin rash,  Pain in the chest,  swollen joints and many more.  The anti-inflammatory drugs couldn’t cure me, until I read about his recommendation. 2 months ago, I contacted him through his email address. drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com . and he sent me the herbal treatment through DHL courier service and he instructed me on how to drink it for good two weeks. after then,  And I was confirmed cured and free at the hospital after taken his powerful herbal medications You too can be cured with it if interested, he also uses his powerful herbal healing medicine to cure disease like: parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,  Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,  Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms,  chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,  Cystic  Fibrosis,  Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, back pain,  impotence,  feta  alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, skin cancer,  tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel  disease, bone cancer, lungs cancer,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,  back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's  Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal  nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major  Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's  Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular  Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease      Contacts him today  and get permanently cure. contact him via... email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com  /whatssapp-+2347081986098.
website-www drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.